I give my weekly update and the recipe of the week on a very warm and difficult 5 miler.
Yellow Split Pea Soup
2 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
salt and pepper
2 cups yellow split peas
6 cups vegetable stock or water
2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potato, yam, plantains, pumpkin, taro root or any combination of the above
cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat up the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the split peas and stock to the pot. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the potato, pumpkin, or whichever root vegetable you are using. Continue cooking until all the vegetables and peas are soft, about 25-40 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. You can leave the soup chunk or blend some if it if you like.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a squeeze of lime.
Makes 6 servings. Per serving (using sweet potato): 336 Calories; 18g Protein; 5.4g Total Fat; 56g Total Carbohydrates; 0mg Cholesterol; 51mg Sodium; 19.6g Fiber.
Recipe for Mark Bittman: How To Cook Everything Vegetarian