Monday, June 30, 2008

Recovery Monday

Monday mornings? Like most I don’t have a love for the day we go back to work. But this Monday morning is about the recovery run day. Actually this is my recovery week from 3 training weeks. This mornings run was painful. I thought my legs were letting me down after a great week of training and feeling good. I forgot that my legs would need recovery time to grow stronger. The Monday recovery run is supposed to feed the muscles with oxygen and nutrients. Recovery doesn’t mean not running, it means doing things for your legs to help them rebuild. I like a light short distance run and riding my bike.

Recovery also means rest. This weekend was my Long Run of 8 miles. Not long for many runners but a great building week for me. On Sunday I picked up my Son who is a Navy Corpsman (medic). He’s down in Camp Pendleton (San Diego, California) training with the Marines. He’s assigned to the 1st Marines in 29 Palms as a combat field corpsman. They ran his butt off all week, so he was really tired and didn’t want to do anything action packed. We played playstation together and went to the movies. That’s a nice rest day for me as well.

The diet was a success this weekend. Jessah’s birthday dinner was Saturday. I did a Clam-Boil with clams, muscles and shrimp. As well as new potatoes, sausage and corn on the cob. The only fat was the sausage. Potatoes and corn are high on the glycemic index but not in the small amounts I used. Maybe a little too much wine. On Sunday I even used the remaining clams and muscles in a Manhattan clam chowder without the flour to thicken it up (ok broth not chowder but it tasted good). I kept my BG’s in control for the most part, Sunday’s a.m. was 194 but easy to get back down.

No comments: